Hat tip: Lorraine Spencer
Guest Speaker for 2009-2010 Global Awareness Program in Florida
Beacon College in Leesburg, Florida is accepting applications from European, African and American scholars and political leaders with outstanding achievements in their countries who will be in the United States in September, October, February or March during the 2009-2010 academic year.
The guest speaker will give one evening public presentation to a general audience in the Leesburg Public Library and also visit two classes on the Beacon College campus. The presentations have to be in power point and accompanied by several visuals representing the country.
The guest speaker will select a topic covering any social, historical, political, legal, medical, cultural, economic aspect of a particular country in Europe or Africa or a combination of U.S.A and any other foreign country. The speaker should begin with a general, broad overview of the history of the country covered before narrowing down the presentation to a more specific topic. The general public presentation should be 45-50 minutes, followed by a Q and A session.
Here are some examples of the topics featured in this Global Awareness Program last year:
1. Gender and the Constitution in Uganda
2. Poland: From Gentry, through Communism to Hip-Hop Culture
3. Global Affirmative Action Policies: U.S.A, Brazil & Malaysia
4. Denmark: Still a Fairy Tale?
5. Race Travelers and African-American Romance with Soviet Russia
6. Latvia: From Siberia to Freedom
The college will fly the scholar from any city in the United States to Florida and provide accommodation and meals during the two-day visit to the Beacon College Campus.
The college will pay an honorarium for the guest speaker.
Interested scholars should email the following items to Dr. Harriet Masembe, email@example.com
1. A copy of a resume or CV
2. A one page letter with suggested topics for the presentation. You can suggest 2-3
topics from which we can pick.
3. 3-4 good pictures, two of which should be head shots
4. The months when the speaker will be available in the U.S.A
Applications will be reviewed as they come in.