THE STATE OF DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION IN EUROPE
Race, Rights, and Politics
Wednesday, September 11, 2019
10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Cannon House Office Building
Live Webcast: www.youtube.com/HelsinkiCommission
Against the backdrop of recent European elections, European political leaders will discuss the state of their democracies and recent efforts to address issues of diversity and inclusion amidst rising prejudice and xenophobic violence, including from far-right extremist groups. The hearing will also examine the impact of anti-discrimination policies and diversity initiatives aimed at ensuring and protecting equal rights as European countries attempt to balance the economic needs of immigration and other benefits of diverse populations with continuing national identity and security concerns.
The following speakers are scheduled to participate:
- Councilor Irene Appiah (Hamburg, Germany)
- Vice-Chair Domenica Ghidei Biidu, European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (Netherlands)
- MP Dawn Butler, Shadow Secretary of State for Women and Equalities (United Kingdom)
- MEP Romeo Franz (Germany)
- MEP Pierrette Herzberger-Fofana (Germany)
- MEP Evin Incir (Sweden)
- MP Danièle Obono (France)
- MEP Samira Rafaela (Netherlands)